Friday 2 November 2018

Still Pedalling Pennines

Well it has been a long time since I last posted anything here. I guess that's what parenthood does. In between parent duty, keeping an eye on my ever aging mother, work and other things yes, I am still cycling but alas no where near as much as I used to.
The simple fact is that my short-wheel-base bike and small frame struggles to safely accommodate a seat for my little one (and I have tried a number of options). I live in the hills so my options are limited and quite frankly the extortionate nursery fees mean I'm not in the market for a cargo bike.

Three - four years ago I was evangelically planning how to continue to be a cycling mum. It worked for a short time with a trailer and a front bike seat until that was no longer practical. Then other factors also took hold like working compressed hours.

But the hills still call and occasionally I have opportunity to head out on wheels rather than feet (I mostly hike with my lad usually with a picnic and kite in tow or often to see steam trains).

The highlight this year was riding the Pennine Bridleway from home to Malham one sunny Friday on my way to morris dancing in Settle.
I also embarked on a trip to France and will post about that shortly.

Here are some photo highlights from some local rides from this year for your enjoyment. How many times can you spy Pendle Hill!!

Descending to Wycoller from the Pennine Bridleway Jan

On the lovely tracks above Clowbridge Res looking towards Pendle Hill - Feb

Leeds Liverpool Canal somewhere between Bingley & Saltaire

RSF ride up towards the Nic O Pendle - March

Track near Sabden Fold - I've managed to cycle here a few times this year

Looking to the Ribble Valley from Mearley

Climbing from Hardcastle Crags on a rare family ride

Lane between Walshaw & Walshaw Dean Reservoirs

That fab Bell Busk track

Add caption

RSF ride from Gt Hameldon down to Clowbridge

RSF ride from Grindleton Fell looking towards the NW side of Pendle Hill


Another view of Pendle from the Ribble Valley

Descending Weets Hill on the Pennine Bridleway - another shot of Pendle - Sept

Hay making was happening everywhere- that hard grass stubble is hard going when your cycling

Stockdale Lane between Settle & Malham

Malham Cove


A Halloween ride through my local woods near Rowley

Pennine Bridleway near Dynley

Pennine Bridleway heading towards Cant Clough Res

Gorple Track

The copy pit route at Towneleyside

November 1st riding past Pendle Hill and Black Moss Res upper

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see you back! ... read you back?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. greetings from Canada.
    I was researching Claude Pottie and I came across your post.
    do you still have your Pottie? (I own three)
    have you ever contacted Mr. Pottie? I did about 8 years ago but cannot find him now.
    Peter Stock
    Toronto Canada
    pjstock@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete